[LINK] Theft, copyright, larceny...

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Wed Jun 27 18:10:49 AEST 2007

At 03:26 PM 27/06/2007, Stilgherrian wrote:
>In another email this afternoon, Craig Sanders supposes that the opportunity
>is still there, because having "trialled" the music on the CD he obtained
>via Bill, Fred can still buy the CD from Joe. However in the real world this
>falls apart -- because in some / many / most / nearly all cases Fred (unless
>he's a shareware geek, hardly a representative sample of humanity) will
>think "I have the music, why do I need to pay money *now*?"

I won't want to agree with Craig, but most people who are collectors
will buy the Original CD/DVD, whatever.  It's a collectors desire to
possess mint condition items.

This is another reason I strongly support the copying of DVD and
CD's.  Who wants their prized collection of CD's and DVD's all
scratched up by the 2 year old baby who worked out how to press the
eject and managed to get the DVD?

What?  We buy two copies, one to play and one to stick in the display
cabinet?  I think not.

As to representative of humanity, well, lets just say most people
aren't representative of what Humanity should represent.

>What is the name of the "crime" ("sin"? "naughtiness"?) of not paying for
>shareware that you continue to use?

Guilt :)  But then as I communicate with a lot of shareware coders,
they don't expect large numbers of registrations, unless they intend
to derive a profit form the software in the first place.  Most don't,
and most are happy to get an email with suggestions and thanks :)
Money is a bonus!