[LINK] Theft, copyright, larceny...

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Wed Jun 27 18:05:24 AEST 2007

Shareware is software you can obtain, usually it's suppose to be full
versions without limitations, you can use it, and after a period of
time, or if you like the software you pay the author.

I use to get about 20% of the users paying, which was pretty good
when you consider that there were 250,000 users of the software and I
didn't expect to make a cent :)  I think if I'd offered my software
at a fee, I'd have had about 10 users :)

Freeware is just plain free.

Open Source is where the source code is provided with the software,
however it may be shareware, freeware or fully paid for.

Open Source doesn't necessarily mean "free" however there are very
few cases where one pays for the software.  And to be honest in the
three cases I know, you'd WANT to pay for the software, because
you'll NEED the support!  (Ok maybe you are really paying for
support, but some people will use a little and some a lot, so it's
not really user pays.)