[LINK] Other forms of copyright theft

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Thu Jun 28 18:08:51 AEST 2007

Kim Holburn wrote:

> This ISP is deleting everyone's files, assuming them to be copied
> illegally.  Is this copyright theft?

It is deleting certain files, not all files. Anyway, there are ways
around this draconian approach to this butt covering exercise.

1. rename the files using innoucuous extensions, i.e. .txt, .html, etc
2. encrypt the files and provide the key to your friends
3. gzip or zip the files
4. as the article [snipped] states: opt out of the exetel purge
5. use another ISP

But it does raise a thorny issue: should ISPs and other third parties
be playing the role of copyright cops for what should be
a civil action between the copyright holder and the alleged
copyright infringer.

I find exetel's stance hypocritical. On the one hand they take an
extreme stance against their customer's uploaded files and delete
them without any evidence that copyright has been infringed. On the
other hand they actively shape P2P traffic and encourage it with
a free 40 GB per month during their offpeak period. They could *block*
P2P if they wished. Although that would raise a similar thorny issue:
why should they police by blockage?

Why should an ISP police this stuff in the first place?

A far more equitable approach is that taken in the case of illegal
content: wait for a takedown notice. React to complaints. If a
copyright holder complains and proves ownership, take the files down.
This is how file sharing services around the world operate.
Although I would rather see a system where a court order is required
to enforce takedown.

Me thinks Exetel doth delete too much.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking
about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
      -- George W Bush, Washington DC, 20040805 (http://www.dubyaspeak.com/)