The poor standard of public debate (was Re: {Spam?} Re: [LINK] Stolen or copied?)

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Sat Jun 30 16:56:12 AEST 2007

On 30/6/07 4:35 PM, "Rick Welykochy" <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote:
> This weekend I have been reflecting on what passes for
> debate in this country.
>
> The aboriginal affairs minister quips that anyone who
> questions the Lib's latest moves to "save the indigenous people"
> (from what? themselves? the jackboots? the Libs!) would
> rather see these plight of these people continue. Or
> put more bluntly earlier this week, if you are against
> our program you support child abuse.
>
> And now we have Costa's response to Flannery's climate debate.
> "Flannery is an idiot." That's it, plain and simple.
>
> No debate. You are against us - you are an idiot.
>
> I guess if you cannot enter into a debate and entertain some
> critical thinking, there is always the ad hominem attack
> as a reasonable substitute.
>
> What is really overwhelming is the seeming acceptance of
> this by a majority of non-thinking citizens. Really very
> disheartening.

You are not alone, Rick.

See the current Quarterly Essay "His Master's Voice" and the book "Silencing
Dissent" for example.

http://www.quarterlyessay.com/
http://www.allenandunwin.com/shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?ISBN=9781741751017

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia