[LINK] US going digital TV in 2009

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Mon Mar 5 19:52:21 AEDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 07:19:42PM +1100, Rick Welykochy wrote:
> Howard Lowndes wrote:
>
> >Try doing an nmap scan on it.
>
> Good idea. Done. It is Linux:
>
> Running: Linux 2.4.X|2.5.X
> OS details: Linux 2.4.0 - 2.5.20 w/o tcp_timestamps, Linux 2.4.22 (x86)
> w/grsecurity patch and with timestamps disabled
>
> Now, just running Linux does not require the distribution of the source
> code (think web servers!). Only if they distribute it or make mods to it
> are they required to provide the source code. Hmmmm.

if linux really is running on the device then they ARE distributing it.

it's no different to a wlan router with linux embedded. a few
manufacturers of those have tried to get away with not distributing
source. they've all backed down.

> The Aussie Toppy Site downloads page does not mention Linux or source code:
> http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/downloads.asp

somebody ought to report them to http://gpl-violations.org/

GPL code is available for anyone to use, but the "price" is that if
you distribute a changed version, then you MUST distribute your changed
source under the same terms as the GPL (i.e. so that your users and
anyone else can view and modify it if they wish).

if you don't want to pay that price, then don't use the code.  simple as that.

> The Korean home site does not mention Linux on its home page or in its FAQ.
> A serach for the keyword 'linux' reveals nothing!
> http://www.i-topfield.com/support_e/faq.asp?action=list
>
> Hrmmm. IANAL and do not know offhand if they are in violation of the GPL.

if their unit runs linux and they're not distributing source for the kernel
and any GPL tools installed () then they're in violation of the GPL.

craig

ps: hmmm. the topfield suddenly became a whole lot more interesting
to me if it really is running linux. once they begin to fulfil their
obligations under the license.

they have USB ports, so if i could compile my own kernel for it i could
get a USB network adaptor working.

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

BOFH excuse #253: We've run out of licenses