[LINK] ASIO demands access to "access card" photo database

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Mar 7 16:48:39 AEDT 2007

At 16:15 +1100 7/3/07, Adam Todd wrote:
>After being sold the line it's not an ID card.  That it won't carry
>data that can't be accessed by anyone other than whom you desire and
>after all the privacy issues have been tossed around;
>In walks ASIO at the 11th hour saying "We'll have access to the
>photo database."

My prelim comments on this when I posted to the privacy list this
morning were as follows:

[Confusion reigns about whether national security and law enforcement
agencies need judicial authority on a case-by-case basis to get
personal data from government data stores (such as the proposed
National ID Scheme Central Register, or the chip on the ID Card), or
whether they have authority anyway, or the ability to write their own
authority, commonly referred to as an 'extra-judicial warrant'.

[DHS Secretary Patricia Scott is in trouble for misleading the Senate
Estimates Committee, and her latest wriggle looks unconvincing.

[If anyone's done the analysis, please let us all know.

[These may help:
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/intguide/law/terrorism.htm
http://www.amcran.org/images/stories/booklet/AntiTerrorLaws2ndEd.pdf

For the gory trail of media material, see:
http://www.privacy.org.au/Campaigns/ID_cards/HSAC.html#Media

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong