[LINK] SMH: 'Backlash fear sparks ID card rethink'

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Mar 16 10:11:46 AEDT 2007

Roger Clarke wrote:
> [Ellison's stone-walling.  The *only* thing he's agreed to (so far) is
> to withdraw the Bill and combine the intended two or three tranches into
> a single Bill.  He's said nothing about fixing any of the parts that
> have been comprehensively shown to be broken.
>
> [The fight goes on, to remove the many massively privacy-invasive
> aspects of this national ID scheme]

The privacy aspect which concerns me, is the opportunity for DNA
matching and identification of potential donors. Hot on the heals of the
Therapeutic Cloning legislation passing through. But ofcourse this
applies to kidney and other body part donations....

> Inmate organ plan shaves time
> From correspondents in South CArolina
> 10mar07
>
> INMATES in South Carolina could soon find that a kidney is worth 180 days.
<http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,21353970%255E401,00.html>

I am sure there are quotes from more respectable people but
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/f/frankherbe110281.html>

> Backlash fear sparks ID card rethink
> Date: March 16 2007
> The Sydney Morning Herald
> Mark Metherell
> http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2007/03/15/1173722657907.html
>
> THE Federal Government has swiftly bowed to a Senate committee report
> critical of the proposed national smart card and agreed to rethink the
> legislation.
<snip>

--
Marghanita da Cruz