[LINK] Streaming TV Tests

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Mar 29 08:00:32 AEST 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 09:42:15PM +1000, Rick Welykochy wrote:
> George Bray wrote:
> >I've got another set of test streams available, and if you've got a
> >few minutes I'd appreciate some feedback on their quality and their
> >ability to maintain smooth playing.
> >
> >      http://uctv.canberra.edu.au/tv-tests
>
> [...]
> The download rate was too slow and resulted in choppy intermittent video.
> My tests were conducted just now around 20070328 21:20:00

that pretty much matches my experience with streaming video (my current
link is ADSL1, 8Mbps down, 384k up).

i generally don't bother with streaming video, it's far too annoying.
i only watch video from the net if there is some convenient way to
download it first and watch it at my leisure (without the choppy
stop-start annoyance of lagged streaming).

there is a plugin for firefox called 'VideoDownloader' which provides
clickable download links for many common video sites like google video,
youtube, and about 60 others according to the blurb. a lot less hassle
than viewing the source of the html page, extracting the URLs (which
are usually just to a redirector script which gives you the real URL of
the video) and downloading them manually....which is what i used to do
(rarely, when i could be bothered) before installing VideoDownloader.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

We may not be able to persuade Hindus that Jesus and not Vishnu should govern
their spiritual horizon, nor Moslems that Lord Buddha is at the center of
their spiritual universe, nor Hebrews that Mohammed is a major prohpet, nor
Christians that Shinto best expresses their spiritual concerns, to say
nothing of the fact that we may not be able to get Christians to agree among
themselves about their relationship to God.  But all will agree on a
proposition that they possess profound spiritual resources.  If, in addition,
we can get them to accept the further proposition that whatever form the Deity
may have in their own theology, the Deity is not only external, but internal
and acts through them, and they themselves give proof or disproof of the
Deity in what they do and think; if this further proposition can be accepted,
then we come that much closer to a truly religious situation on earth.
		-- Norman Cousins, from his book "Human Options"