[LINK] How FairPlay Works: Apple's iTunes DRM Dilemma

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Thu Mar 29 11:51:00 AEST 2007

At 11:10 AM 29/03/2007, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>Glen Turner wrote:
>
>>Rick Welykochy wrote:
>>>I must say, as an iPod owner and frequent user of iTunes that the DRM and
>>>encryption protection has *never* gotten in the way of me enjoying my
>>>music.
>>>The system works seamlessly and transparently. The same cannot be said for
>>>systems like those emerging on Vista, where heaps of complaints already
>>>abound.

I only listen to music sent to me by unsigned artists :)  Much more
interesting and the variety abounds.  Maybe I'll set up a music site?  But
then there are heaps already like reverbaration.

>>My daughter's experience has been different. She lost about $150
>>of purchases when her UK friend sent her a iTunes card for her
>>birthday. Apparently you shouldn't mix cards from different countries.
>
>The article mentions that Apple's DRM does allow you to mix one
>iPods contents with another. Perhaps the same applies to iTunes
>cards?

Does or doesn't?  Sounds like, from experience, the iTunes card falls into
the negative.

>I'd be hopping mad at Apple. Has she obtained any recompense?

I agree.

>I have no experience with the iTunes online music store. I just
>copy my CDs onto the iPod.

Isn't that now illegal under the new laws?