[LINK] Considering Fibre to the Home [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Carl Makin carl at xena.IPAustralia.gov.au
Mon May 7 13:21:12 AEST 2007

On 07/05/2007, at 12:29 PM, Martin Barry wrote:

> $quoted_author = "Matthew Sullivan" ;
>>
>> ... on the same subject, I was under the impression that Canberra
>> actually had some FTTH in the recent past... If I remember the
>> details
>

> http://www.transact.com.au/about/ourcompany.aspx
>
> "Since 2001 TransACT has been rolling out a fibre-optic network to
> provide
> Canberra and Queanbeyan with the next generation of communication
> services."

It's not Fibre-to-the-home, but Fibre-to-the-kerb and then a wired
connection to the house, with about 15 or 20 houses (from memory as I
can't find this on their website anymore) sharing the fibre connection.

The broadband component (TransWeb) seems to be limited to 2Mbps/
256kbps if you're on cable.  They do offer a 20Mbps/1Mbps connection
but by reselling somebody else's ADSL2+ service.

In a bureaucratic stuffup of enormous dimensions, Gungahlin (a
northern satellite city of Canberra) was originally supposed to be a
Telstra "fibre showcase" area with a "modern" fibre network for
"advanced communications", however Telstra pulled out late in the
area's development and the area now has the worst communications
infrastructure around.  Pretty much everyone is on a RIM and ADSL 1
is impossible in many places.  I know a few IT guys who purchased a
house out there for the "advanced communications system" and are now
pretty bitter about it.

Carl.