Subject: [LINK] Considering Fibre to the Home

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Mon May 7 19:50:13 AEST 2007

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Stewart Fist wrote:

> Initially the provider will link the last 100 metres to the homes with
> copper using one of the species of DSL.  But there's no reason why later,
> when high-speed optical terminal equipment become cheaper, they can't pull
> the copper and replace it with fibre to complete the to-home circuit from
> the local node.
>
> The point is that Fibre-to-the-Curb will provide a long-term solution in the
> cable which won't need to be replaced to be upgraded. You don't need to
> replace the fibre, but you will change the terminal equipment.

Not only that, but once the cable runs are in, there's no reason
why huge bundles of 'dark fibre' ie unconnected fibre, can't be
run in parallel, then aggregated as bandwidth demands increase.

Then, as needs require, more dark fibre can be brought online,
to provision to moee homes or to improve bandwidth further.
ISP's (in a perfect world) could bid to access their own private
strands of dark fibre, thereby improve service at an individual
level as well.

But first we have to get the fibre into the ground, then
ensure the rights are in place to allow competitive access
to it all, or have a public telco who is willing to provision
the lot...   ....and why not start with precincts around
the Uni's and Libraries, like the Uni of Minnesota and so on?

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html