[LINK] Centrelink computers to keep tabs on the dead and flying

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Wed May 9 17:30:25 AEST 2007

At 01:00 PM 10/05/2007, Stewart Fist wrote:
> > ...but who or what agency is being arranged as the prime capture agency.
> > It strikes me they may have to recruit hospitals, doctors, funeral
> > directors, etc.
>
>The least the government could do is to make a major contribution towards
>the extraordinary cost of a funeral.  The last payment Centerlink make
>should be a few thousand dollars.

You mean like a "Death Bonus" of say $2000?

So the Funeral Industry can up the cost of a funeral by a further $2000?

Like the Health Insurance Rebate of 30% that saw all health insurance
magically go up the day it was introduced by 30%.

And the Child Care Rebate that also saw child care rates magically
raise on the date that it was introduced.  The Government was smart
in this case, they then decided to back date the payments for six
months and hence refused to pay any fees that "suddenly" jumped.  I
understand there are some prosecutions taking place.

>If this was done through Centerlink then it would be a major incentive for
>everyone to register the death.

You mean if it was done by the State at the Registry
level.  Centrelink is not the registry for deaths!

>There's no reason, in fact, why the funeral
>providers couldn't make the claim,

Of course, "We'll even put in the Centrelink Death Bonus form for you
to cover the costs of the funeral, you don't have to worry about it at all."

>just like doctors do for their bulk-billing services.

Isn't it amazing how Doctors who bulk bill can see 12-15 patients an
hour at $45 per patient.  Yet the ones you "pay" will spend 40
minutes with you before they get fidgety.

>This would guarantee that Centerlink was notified.
>
>It could also give the government some control over funeral costs, over
>time.

Yep, an increase :)  Might have to add it to the Consumer Price Index!