[LINK] RFID enabled Mobile Phone for Health Monitoring

Geoff Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Fri May 18 19:46:24 AEST 2007

Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 12:21:22PM +0930, Brenda Aynsley wrote:
>> Craig Sanders wrote:
>>
>>> yes, so of course you'll use an example of voluntary use of technology
>>> for an individual's own benefit to gloss-over or even justify the use
>>> of similar technology to spy on unwilling or unknowing individuals for
>>> the benefit of marketers, manufacturers, police, spooks, and anyone else
>>> with an interest in the covert tracking of individuals and individual
>>> movement & behaviour.
>> ahem, can we leave the paranoia at home when we write to this list ...
>> in the interest of good argument and debate?  The attitude in the words
>> strung together above will do a lot to foster debate ... NOT
>>
>> I actually share Craig's fears but I hope I might temper my language and
>> 'tone' in emailing about the topic.
>
> IMO, it is necessary to counter the boosterism with a reminder about
> the negatives associated with the technology.
>
> Geoffrey is a representative of the industry and has a vested interest
> (and a demonstrated habit here on LINK) in spin-doctoring RFID and
> related technologies to make them seem like a marvellous and entirely
> positive benefit for humanity.
>
> that bias also needs to be highlighted in order to undermine its effect.
>
> in his favour, he does reveal his associations in his .sig - which is a good
> thing - if you happen to know what the Automatic Data Capture Association is,
> or what his company Unique Micro Design actually does.
>
> craig

One thing I do like about Link is the very varied and sometimes confronting
views. However, it is time like these that I find it difficult to understand the
  argument.

It appears that because this example, and all others, uses RFID technology that
this must and always leads to "spy technology".

Regards

Geoffrey Ramadan, B.E.(Elec)
Chairman, Automatic Data Capture Australia (www.adca.com.au)
and