[LINK] Fwd: MR 53/07: ACMA removes prohibition on Sunday research calls [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Thu May 31 18:30:03 AEST 2007

Jan Whitaker wrote:

> I can't wait until someone calls me after tomorrow. The challenge is
> going to be getting the identification in an intelligible manner so I
> can file the complaint.

The devil will be in the detail.

1. Enforcement: How can I get the bona fides of a telemarketer and
    subsequently take action? It seems some sort of subterfuge will have
    to be employed on my part to let the perpetrator give away sufficient
    information before I cry foul.

2. Compliance: The telemarketer must pay (if over 500 numbers are involved)
    to have their call lists washed by the authority. Fine, leave the burden
    of cost with the telemarketer. But how often will list washing be required?
    The results of a wash today will be out of date by tomorrow. I wonder if
    some clever sod will pay the $80,000 to wash a supposedly comprehensive
    list of 100,000,000 numbers and then offer the service at a profit to
    others.

    reference: https://www.donotcall.gov.au/dncrtelem/info.cfm   (https??)

    Are there even 100 million phone numbers in use in this country?

cheers
rickw