[LINK] Book Ad: 'The Future of Reputation'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat Nov 3 16:39:47 AEDT 2007

Solove D.J. 'The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor, and Privacy on
the Internet'  Yale University Press, October 2007

Outline and Chapter 1 at:

YouTube. Facebook. MySpace. Wikipedia. Google. These are among the
many new ways people are communicating and obtaining information. In
THE FUTURE OF REPUTATION: GOSSIP, RUMOR, AND PRIVACY ON THE INTERNET
(Yale University Press, October 2007), Professor Daniel J. Solove
warns that this new world demands new thinking about the nature of
privacy.

Teeming with chatrooms, online discussion groups, and blogs, the
Internet offers previously unimagined opportunities for personal
expression and communication. But there's a dark side to the story. A
trail of information fragments about us is forever preserved on the
Internet, instantly available in a Google search. A permanent
chronicle of our private lives - often of dubious reliability and
sometimes totally false - will follow us wherever we go, accessible
to friends, strangers, dates, employers, neighbors, relatives, and
anyone else who cares to look. This engrossing book, brimming with
stories of gossip, slander, and rumor on the Internet, explores the
profound implications of the online collision between free speech and
privacy.

Solove explores how the Internet is transforming gossip, the way we
shame others, and our ability to protect our own reputations.
Focusing on blogs, Internet communities, cyber mobs, and other
current trends, he shows that, ironically, the unconstrained flow of
information on the Internet may impede opportunities for
self-development and freedom. Longstanding notions of privacy need
review: unless we establish a balance among privacy, free speech, and
anonymity, we may discover that the freedom of the Internet makes us
less free.

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong