[LINK] Carbon-neutral web hosting

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Thu Oct 4 14:41:03 AEST 2007

On 04/10/2007, at 2:23 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> The real question should be "has anyone run the numbers to see what
> more efficient -software- could do for power consumption.."

A bigger-picture view: Is storing bytes more efficient (whatever
*that* metric can mean) than alternatives in the pursuit of wisdom?

We appear to be living our lives in complex environments where data
and data retention is key to our existence, yet the net contribution
to the world's knowledge (and wisdom) has not increased at the same
rate as the stored data expansion would otherwise suggest.

iT

(still looking for that race of vast pan-dimensional hyper-
intelligent beings to tell us where we went wrong, and to tell us
what you really get when you multiply six by nine...)