[LINK] Carbon-neutral web hosting

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Oct 4 15:14:46 AEST 2007

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007, Howard Lowndes wrote:
>> Does anyone have any figures on the extent of server virtualisation in
>> the web hosting industry.
>>
>> I know that virtualisation requires gruntier real machines, but it makes
>> sense that you can get more virtual machines for the given power
>> consumption.
>
> The real question should be "has anyone run the numbers to see what
> more efficient -software- could do for power consumption.."

Not sure whether thin client is the same as virtualization, but I suspect that
this is going to contribute to a reduction in overall $ costs as well as footprints.

Ofcourse, if there was true attribution of costs carbon and other environmental
factors would result in lower cost good products rather than them being
considered premium products.

Then there is the Google Webbased apps model to consider...

> As Google and Microsoft battle for the hearts and minds of Internet users, a
new question has cropped up: Which one can better save planet Earth?
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/emergingtech/0,1000000183,39273374,00.htm>

The Thinlinx people are suggesting the benefits for Call centre....
<http://www.thinlinx.com.au/>

A couple of days ago, I came across some research, which I thought was at a .ca
domain name, along the lines of linux being greener. It was linked to an article
about British Government...can't find either now :-(

Ivan what was that you said about knowledge let alone application of it.

Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au
Phone: (+61)0414 869202