[LINK] Carbon-neutral web hosting

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Thu Oct 4 19:49:10 AEST 2007

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Howard Lowndes wrote:

>>    I wonder what the next level of depersonalisation will be known as?
>
> Offshoring

Brain-in-a-jar

I was once at a product demonstration that made exactly this analogy,
inferring that all the knowledge required by a team of sysadmins
could be quantised into a GUI and automagically respond to problems
before they became too serious.

I have always thought that there are different structures in
a workplace but created my own definitions:

Brain-in-a-jar  = a long term employee who has all the corporate knowledge,
but doesn't share any of it.

Cog = someone who does lots of work, but goes round and round.   Without
the cog, not much gets done, but they have to get around to it.

Passenger = someone who is not quite good enough, for whatever reason
that just gets by enough for someone else to fix their work.

Pot plant = looks good in an office, but takes up space and oxygen.

Psychic Vampire = dumb coworker who's got your phone number and uses it.

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html