[LINK] Schneier on Storm Worm

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Sat Oct 6 12:01:06 AEST 2007

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Stilgherrian wrote:

> On 6/10/07 8:05 AM, "Howard Lowndes" <lannet at lannet.com.au> quotes Schneier:
>> "Redesigning the Microsoft Windows operating system would work, but
>> that's ridiculous to even suggest."
>
> I was about to write "I don't actually think it's ridiculous. It's just a
> matter of will. Apple re-wrote their operating system stack when moving from
> MacOS 9.x to OS X and it all went quite smoothly, considering."
>
> But then I thought... Is that a reasonable comparison? Or is there something
> fundamentally different about the way Windows and MacOS 9 are constructed
> that makes them different classes of task?

Why does a package like "Parallels desktop" or "Wine" work so well
  even though it's not Windows nor does it have anywhere near the amount
of underlying System?    Why cannot MS make a similar product
to host all its legacy apps and layer this on top of a complete
rewrite of MSW?   They know all their hooks, secrets, faults and flaws
and could easily code this layer to accept them, imitate or workaround,
just like Parallels or Wine....

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html