[LINK] Dot Asia a good idea?

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Oct 9 15:31:05 AEST 2007

Had a call from Radio Australia asking about the new top level web
domain for Asia (.Aisa or "Dot Asia"). This is run by the DotAsia
Organisation with the authority of ICANN. The agreement was signed
December 2006. But there has been a recent flurry of publicity about
it. I assume that .Asia are doing some PR.

There has been some criticism of the idea. I told the radio
interviewer that companies doing business from or in Asia might like
to get a .Asia domain name to use alongside their country or
international domain name, but that Aisa was a less distinct entity
than Europe (with .EU).

There is also still some debate on how to handle 16 bit character
sets for Asian languages, such as Chinese, Japanese and Korean. The
easy way is to convert them to the existing ASCII subset used for
domain names. But this is not as convenient as a native implementation.

Blogged version with links:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/10/new-top-level-web-domain-for-asia.html>.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml