[LINK] beware Quechup

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Sep 2 12:19:43 AEST 2007

Jan Whitaker wrote:

> There is a warning making the rounds about a 'new' 'social network'
> called Quechup. Once one signs up, it accesses your address book and
> sends invitations to all those parties under your name. And there is
> word that one can't cancel membership.
> Here's a blog article about it and other social networks:
> http://www.twistimage.com/blog/archives/009800.html

Sounds like bollocks to me. Javascript certainly should not / does not
have the capability to read your address book. And if it is accessing
files on your HDD, an alert will pop up to ask you if you wish to
allow this.

It is glib to say "it accesses your address book" but the question must
be asked how this could possibly be done. Apart from using an IE
exploit (and possibly Active-X) to install a virus from the Quechup
website, I don't see how.

cheers
rickw