[LINK] Fwd: Do Not Call Register Complaint [number]

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Sep 26 12:21:39 AEST 2007

Linkers, here's a real-life DNC case.

Background:
I got a call from a company, told them I was on the DNC, not to call
me blah blah. It was from a company, not exempt.
Decided to file a complaint. Went to the ACMA website, found the link
to the register complaints area, filled in the form.
Got a letter from ACMA that my phone was registered to my 'business'
and was not eligible in that way. Not sure how they got that idea. I
don't think I would have put my business on my registration details.
But they posted me a form to fill out to sort out the situation,
which I sent back.

This arrived today:

>Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:46:53 +1000 (EST)
>From: dncreferrals at acma.gov.au
>To: jwhit at janwhitaker.com
>Subject: Do Not Call Register Complaint [number]
>
>Dear Ms. Whitaker
>
>Thank you for your complaint regarding the call you received from
>[company] after you registered your telephone number on the Do Not
>Call Register.
>
>The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has
>received a number of complaints about the abovenamed organisation
>and is currently undertaking formal action to monitor the
>organisation and gather evidence to support a full
>investigation.   An investigation will take some time as obtaining
>probative evidence of alleged breaches must be done carefully and
>can be a lengthy process.
>
>If you receive further calls from this business which you believe to
>be telemarketing calls, please lodge a further complaint by calling
>1300 792 958 or completing a complaint form at www.donotcall.gov.au.
>While we appreciate that this takes time, your action in this regard
>contributes to the profile ACMA is able to compile and the action
>ACMA is ultimately able to take. Complaints which are not lodged via
>the online complaint form or by calling 1300 792 958, will not be
>investigated as ACMA requires specific information to support formal
>investigations.
>
>Yours sincerely
>

>Telemarketing Investigations Section
>Id: OW

What I was pleased to see were:
- they closed the loop and let me know my number was now properly
registered [I think it was already because TM calls had all but disappeared!]
- that even though the number wasn't compliant to ACMA, they still
took my complaint on board and are pursuing
- that without a great deal of detail from me, they still took the
complaint on board, merely with the name of the organisation and
without the 'who called' name, phone number, etc.

This may be a govt program that works. Will keep link posted if there
are further developments.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Living, like writing, requires no wisdom. Only revising does. - Jim
Sollisch, Sept, 2007

Writing Lesson #78: In writing, 'do overs' are a 'good thing' -- and
a requirement. - JW, Sept, 2007

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005