[LINK] The letter is in the mail

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Mon Aug 4 10:15:57 AEST 2008

http://www.theage.com.au/national/online-movie-fans-face-scrutiny-20080803-3pcd.html

Online movie fans face scrutiny

    * Jesse Hogan
    * August 4, 2008

INTERNET users who download illegal copies of the
latest movies and television shows could get warning letters in the mail.

The film production industry is pressuring
Australian internet providers to start sending
"we know what you're doing"-type letters to
customers who are tracked downloading copyright
content, warning them they face disconnection or
even legal action if they continue.

The Australian Federation Against Copyright
Theft, an industry body, has long wanted internet
providers to clamp down on illegal downloads, but
has renewed its call after a recent preliminary
agreement in Britain between studios, internet
providers and the Government for greater intervention.

The federation's last study, in 2005, found
piracy cost the industry $250 million a year, but
executive director Adrianne Pecotic said the
figure was likely to be much higher now because
of the increased penetration of broadband.

She said a trial of a "graduated response" policy
in the United States, involving internet
providers contacting customers suspected of
piracy, resulted in nine out of 10 users stopping
illegal file sharing after their first warning.

The federation wants a voluntary agreement with
the internet providers ­ so it can devote its
time to prosecuting those involved in selling
pirated content ­ but the head of Australia's
dominant internet provider, Telstra BigPond, said
it was essential that police led any piracy targeting process.

"We want to play our part but in order to have a
democratic society
 you need laws on one hand
and law enforcement on the other hand," BigPond
group managing director Justin Milne said.

Ms Pecotic said there was no legal impediment for
internet providers to support the policy, because
most internet usage contracts stipulate customers
cannot use the service for illegal purposes.
[I've left off the organisation's website address
to avoid giving them any more 'publicity']

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

"No Longer Anonymous, of Berwick"

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing
the silver for guests. - JW, May, 2007