[LINK] Google now 70% of US search engine users

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Aug 13 18:02:48 AEST 2008

Hi all,

Guess google is more than 70% here, where Yahoo & MSN aren't used so much?

--
Hitwise provides more proof of Google's search dominance
Posted by Jim Kerstetter August 12, 2008 9:52 AM PDT

Don't call Google's search business a monopoly, the company's executives
have reminded us.

Unfortunately, we're running out of other ways to describe it. Researchers
at Hitwise released new data Monday indicating that Google in July topped
a 70 percent share of U.S. Web searches (70.77 percent to be exact).

That's up 10 percent from the same month a year ago and 2 percent from the
previous month. Yahoo search was second at 18.65 percent, MSN search was
third at 5.36 percent, and Ask.com came in fourth at 3.53 percent.

At 70 percent, Google is joining a club of tech giants that really know
how to dominate a market, including Cisco Systems in routers, Intel in
chips, and Microsoft in a whole bunch of stuff.

Now before I get e-mails from Google's lawyers, let's add these caveats:
There's probably no magic number at which trustbusters decide a company
must be brought to heel. But with increasing dominance, comes increasing
scrutiny by folks in Washington..

--

Cheers people
Stephen Loosley