[LINK] Fwd: Re: Internet Explorer V8

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat Aug 30 11:46:26 AEST 2008

><http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2224940/turning-back-ie-warns-microsoft>>
>Microsoft is warning users of a potential issue in its upcoming
>>  Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) web browser release that makes it impossible
>>  to revert to an older version.

Is Microsoft's design quality *really* still this bad???

Sorry if my tone sounds like MS-bashing;  but I just can't believe
that a software developer can commit such blunders.

(I appreciate that the problem may derive from the OS team, or the
OS-maintenance team, rather than the IE8 team;  but it's a
demonstration of technical and managerial incompetence within the
organisation).

In the alternative (as the lawyer's say):

My first reaction had been that it was 'a good thing' that IE8 was
available under XP as well as Vista.

But perhaps no-return is a feature rather than a bug:
-   XP user installs IE8
-   XP quickly becomes unusable
-   XP is unfixable
-   XP user perforce migrates to Vista

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong