[LINK] Proposal for International Law Enforcement

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Dec 6 12:34:35 AEDT 2008

At 12:03 PM 6/12/2008, Janet Hawtin wrote:

>I think that access to information and permission to change and
>comment on information is a core part of a democracy and should not be
>considered a frippery which can be traded for FTA. But thats just me.

I totally agree with that, hence my comment about the democratic
bodies deciding the situation. The problem always is how to get
people's attention for the counter argument, particularly in a
country of 300,000,000, let alone one where democracy is a word from Newspeak.

Unfortunately, I don't think recent treaties are being upheld in the
areas that we do think they are necessary, e.g. human rights.
Australia's record on that front in the preceding 11 or so years has
been appalling. So just because there is a treaty, doesn't mean
countries live up to them UNLESS they are heavily lobbied by these
multi-national corporate interests of course. Howard was a master at
buckling to that, whether he did or didn't agree with the position in
his own political or even national 'interest' philosophy,
unfortunately for refugees.

FTA, Free Trade Agreements are the opposite on all three counts! The
ultimate Newspeak!

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007