[LINK] Fw: Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Brits' Failed Heavy Metal Censorship Attempt Disrupts Wikipedia Edits

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Dec 9 08:56:06 AEDT 2008

On 2008/Dec/08, at 9:49 PM, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> At 11:21 PM 8/12/2008, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> It's easy enough to create a click-though page like Google's phishing
>> page:
>
> Interesting option, Kim, but doesn't eliminate a few of the major
> issues:
>
> - there is still a filter of some sort in place to determine the need
> for the 'click-through' message

Yes.

> - as a result, there would still be performance slow down

Yes.

> - there is still a 'big brother' nanny determining what deserves the
> 'label' of 'inappropriate'

Yes, but users would be able to see what the government thought was
inappropriate.

> - resulting in adults potentially going on 'suspect' lists if they
> click through, and potentially could have to prove 'innocence' over
> something that wasn't even them doing the clicking [the old bit about
> 'who was driving the car when you went through that red light'

Well, it would only be a warning.  The government wouldn't have to
actually keep logs any more than they do now.  Wait a bit, you mean
they don't keep any info on us now?  Also there's a long way between
knowing an IP address and proving a particular person did anything.

> There may be more.

Actually it brings up an interesting point for me.  Technically the
administrator of such a "proxy" can alter pages on the way from the
server to the user.  How can the users be sure that the pages are
really what the server sent?  Are there copyright issues here?  The
owner of the website has copyright over their work and can object to
alterations.

> Checked by AVG.
> 7/12/2008 4:56 PM

Phew.  That makes me feel better ;-)