[LINK] Fw: Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Brits' Failed Heavy Metal Censorship Attempt Disrupts Wikipedia Edits

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Tue Dec 9 09:35:04 AEDT 2008

$quoted_author = "Kim Holburn" ;

> Oh, come on, behave...  sure we could tell you that but we'd have to
> kill you straight after ;-)

:-)

> > I don't think any of those governments are in a position, nor have the
> > capability, to do what you are describing.
>
> google "carnivore"

Something I was aware of...

> Here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore_(FBI)

...which, if you read up on it, has been replaced by off the shelf software.

And it was never the all encompassing bogeyman that it was made out to be.
No one could possibly have the storage to trap Internet traffic at wire
speed unless they were extremely selective about what traffic interested
them. Then the time it would take to analyse anything that had captured,
well...

The numbers just don't add up.

cheers
Marty