[LINK] Fw: Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Brits' Failed Heavy Metal Censorship Attempt Disrupts Wikipedia Edits

rene rene.lk at libertus.net
Tue Dec 9 23:43:31 AEDT 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 00:57:03 -0800 (PST), David Goldstein wrote:
[...]
> And it would be reasonable to assume that our secret services, at
> least, have the ability to monitor pretty much anything they consider
> suspect.

If ASIO wants to intercept telecommunications they need to get a warrant -
which may be issued by the Attorney General on request by the
Director-General of Security.

ASIO can get a warrant if, for example, a person is reasonably suspected of
being engaged in, or of being likely to engage in, "activities prejudicial
to security" as defined in the Australian Security Intelligence
Organisation Act 1979.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/taaa1979410/s9.html

Irene