[LINK] Telstra's NBN bid rejected

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Mon Dec 15 12:08:41 AEDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 11:23 +1100, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> Mr Trujillo said [...]
> 'But if not, let me be clear, we have plenty of options and will
> continue to act in the interest of shareholders, customers and employees.'

Note well, note very well, that the national interest, the interest of
our society at a large, is not mentioned.

That, more than anything else, is what we lost when a

                  *** pack of fuckwits ***

decided to privatise Telecom. And having made that decision, then failed
to decouple the local link.

Excuse the language, but there are just no other words powerful enough
to describe the makers of those two decisions. In fact, even the above
phrase doesn't really do justice to the need.

Maybe, just maybe, the decision to reject the Telstra proposal is the
beginning of redemption. Unfortunately, just as Sol says, the Government
can, in the end, do what it likes. The evidence does not suggest either
the presence of much spine or a particularly high clue level, so while
hope springs eternal, it is making very small hops at the moment.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF