[LINK] Worrying about the Dark Ages (was Re: ANAO report: Government Agencies' Management of their Websites)

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Sun Dec 21 09:53:54 AEDT 2008

At the rick of incurring the Wrath of the Gods by top-posting, yes, I
can confirm that there are many web developers who know very little
about the Internet or its technology -- mostly because they work for a
"marketing" or "design" firm, and learnt their "web deign" using
Dreamweaver and follow-the-procedure upload techniques using the FTP
tools built into same.

I currently have one client on my business' shared hosting server
(Linux with cPanel/WHM) who had their website built by their marketing
company. The marketing company have "lost" the guy which knew PHP and
MySQL, and they have no knowledge in-house now to understand how their
database-driven website actually works. Further, because the website
is on one of several domains within the cPanel account, the group of
companies does not want to give master access t this marketing firm --
or at least whenever I ask whether they can have such access the
request disappears into the void as the discussion grinds to a halt.

So, whenever they need to change the contents of the database, a
designer with no knowledge of SQL uses templated copies to SQ scripts,
which they email to my support team, who run it and report back the
errors. This is, of curse, the most efficient way of maintaining a
website in the entire universe.

Stil