[LINK] Smart enough for the 2020 forum?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Feb 5 08:55:07 AEDT 2008

Sylvano wrote:
> Dear Linkers
>
> I am under no illusion that Rudd and his steering committees will be calling me, but I figure at least one the more eminent members of Link must surely be judged sufficiently intelligent, experienced and well connected to qualify for inclusion in the 2020 forum.
>
> I am interested to hear what others think of this kind of exercise, how Australia's info-tech future will benefit and whether they'd go if invited?
>
> Of the ten areas touted for discussion, five at least look to have lines of inquiry that directly relate to IT, internet, electronic infrustructure, etc. And all ten certainly depend upon these areas indirectly in some way.
>
>  http://www.pm.gov.au/news/releases/2008/media_release_00020.cfm
>

> I can't help but whince when contemplating the conflation of the many goals in this press release, including the encouragement of ideas, the fostering of discussion and debate, developing policy, formulating strategies and identifying distinct technological implementation plans.

The media release/agenda looks like a 1000 have already put in their 2c worth. Not
surprisingly some of the questions/challenges are quite contradictory.

Here is my 2c worth:

a) Government adoption of Open [source] (including funding
development for things like accounting software to integrate to ASIC/ATO/ASX
reporting requirements, and flexible education)

b)Delivery of effective Integrated Transport, not only within but between
CBDs  (effective ticketing model, development of open source "on demand transport"
software, and balance against infrastructure investment)

c)Encourage reuse, though this would require a cultural (and economic) shift
away from the exploitation of natural resources - mining/forestry/clearing land
for farming

d)Focus on better/preventative Health care, rather than acute medical care

e)In the Arts, encouragement of community inclusive rather than mega events.

f)a topic missing seems to be the Republic. Though there is a reference to
westminister.

g)possibly relevant background, particularly  "emotional governance":
<http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:vvzbrbRSP6AJ:media.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/documents/conference_speakers.pdf+emotional+governance&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=au>

Though the problem usually is, that we take UK policies and apply them in a
completely different geography.

Marghanita
http://www.ramin.com.au
Phone: (+61)0414 869202