[LINK] Senate Standing Committee: NetAlert/Mandatory filtering updates

Michael Meloni mike at somebodythinkofthechildren.com
Tue Feb 19 15:35:05 AEDT 2008

Rick Welykochy wrote:
> Which raises the question of why the blocklist should be kept
> secret. If the blocking system does what it purports to do,
> having the blocklist would not give anyone access to anything
> they "shouldn't" see. Or does blocklist secrecy belie the
> effectiveness of the blocker?
>
> cheers
> rickw

Well anyone with some basic tech know-how could visit the URLs on the
blocklist should it be revealed.

On another note: It's not known whether the ACMA blacklist of 800 URLs
even contains active URLs. They could be testing 680 inactive URLs but
we won't know due to the lack of disclosure.

- Mike

--
Michael Meloni
http://www.somebodythinkofthechildren.com