[LINK] Telstra, and the new government .. oh-oh

rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Feb 28 07:09:55 AEDT 2008

Stephen,

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> It appears access to ADSL2+ may only be via expensive Telstra, because the
> telco switched on ADSL2+ service after being assured by the new Government
> that it would not regulate for third-party access.

Not only via Telstra. The ISPs are asking to be allowed to resell
Telstra ADSL2+. However, they can also install their own DSLAMs. As it
happens, Internode, iiNet, Netspace, Wideband, TSN Internet, and I think
Primus all have their own ADSL2 DSLAMs. As, of course, does Optus (which
isn't in the list below).

The argument is over whether someone like Internode can retail Telstra's
ADSL2+ where it doesn't have its own DSLAMs.

RC