[LINK] Technology that exposes your dirty linen

Geoffrey Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Sat Jan 12 17:16:43 AEDT 2008

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 01:52 PM 9/01/2008, Brendan Scott wrote:
>> > Perhaps it has reached the point where the surveillance is so
>> widespread
>> > that there is not point trying to regulate it at source, and it is the
>> > use to which the data is put which we need to concentrate on.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be likely that consumer RFID detectors/destroyers would
>> be manufactured over time?
>
> I served on the privacy code for retail RFID use last year and before.
> I've been waiting for nearly 12 MONTHS for the president of the
> Australian Retailers Association, Michael Lonie, to send me the
> documentation that requires that data collected at point of purchase
> may not be data mined. He has yet to provide that information. I've
> refrained from making this public until now, but this point about
> extended uses and how the consumer might protect themselves provides a
> relevancy to share that information.
>
> I've copied him and other key members of the panel on this message,
> perhaps to shame him into meeting his on-going, yet unfulfilled,
> commitment to show me, in writing, as was said my him multiple times
> exists. I've been told there is a law, a rule, and the last a
> 'guideline'. I am yet to see any of that, even the unenforceable
> guideline.
>
> Time to put up or strengthen the code, Michael. The cat is out of the
> bag.
>
> The recently approved code that is under the management of that same
> Australian Retailers Association can be found at:
> http://www.ara.com.au/765.html
>

> Jan
> consumer volunteer representing CHOICE on the panel
Jan

I don't understand the concern.

The ARA privacy code states that Retailers must "provide details of
retention, use and security of the specific data", so if they do Data
Mine then they must advise the consumer.

Also products are already barcode scanned, so the product is already
identified. This "issue" of "data mining" is not "enhanced" in anyway
because of RFID.

Reg
Geoffrey Ramadan B.E.(Elec)
Chairman, Automatic Data Capture Association (www.adca.com.au)