[LINK] Head of Microsoft Research India in Canberra, 16 January

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Jan 14 12:40:05 AEDT 2008

Recommended:

>INFOENG SEMINAR SERIES
>
>Building Computer Science Lab In India ? The Microsoft Research
>India Experience
>P. Anandan (Microsoft Research India)
>
>DATE: 2008-01-16
>TIME: 11:00:00 - 12:00:00
>LOCATION: RSISE Seminar Room, ground floor, building 115, cnr. North
>and Daley Roads, ANU

There is not a lot of details in the announcement
<http://cecs.anu.edu.au/seminars/showone.pl?SID=580>, so I looked up
some more:

"Microsoft Research India currently focuses on these research areas.
Cryptography, Security, and Algorithms
Digital Geographics
Mobility, Networks, and Systems
Multilingual Systems
Rigorous Software Engineering
Technology for Emerging Markets

Microsoft Research India's Advanced Development and Prototyping group
works across research areas, focusing on technology transfer. ..."

From: Microsoft Research India, Microsoft, 2008
<http://research.microsoft.com/aboutmsr/labs/india/>

"P. Anandan is the managing director of Microsoft Research India.
Microsoft Research India, which set up its operations in January
2005, conducts basic research in computing and engineering sciences
relevant to Microsoft Corp.'s business and the global IT community,
with a special focus on technology for emerging markets and
underserved communities, multilanguage computing systems, software
productivity, sensor networks, cryptography, and
geographical-information systems.

Since June 1997, before being named managing director of Microsoft
Research India, Anandan was a senior researcher at Microsoft Research
headquarters in Redmond, Wash., where he built one of the world's
strongest research teams in computer vision and video processing.

During that time, he also served as an ambassador for the Microsoft
Research University Relations program in India. Through repeat visits
to India's leading institutions of higher learning, Anandan helped
develop strong relationships between Indian universities and
Microsoft Research. He has also represented Microsoft in meetings
with the government of India to emphasize the company's commitment to
research and development. Anandan continues Microsoft Research's
ongoing relationships with the government and academic communities in
his new role. ..."

From: <http://research.microsoft.com/aboutmsr/presskit/anandan/>P.
Anandan, Press Kit, Microsoft, 2008
<http://research.microsoft.com/aboutmsr/presskit/anandan/>

For my own impressions of IT in India, see:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/travel/india.shtml>India: the EU of Asia.
<http://www.tomw.net.au/travel/india.shtml>.

I had the pleasure of being able to
<http://www.tomw.net.au/2004/europe/>visit Microsoft's Cambridge
Research Lab in the UK in 2004. At that time some of the lab staff
were worried about competition from Asia. It will be interesting to
hear of the Indian equivalent <http://www.tomw.net.au/2004/europe/>.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU