[LINK] TIVO [was: Midnight rush to buy iPhones

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jul 11 10:38:46 AEST 2008

At 10:12 AM 11/07/2008, Scott Howard wrote:
>And while we're at it, what's this bloody TV thing that everyone keeps going
>on about?? And now, today, I heard something about a World Wide Wab, or
>something like that?

Do you mean TiVo? I think it's a set-top hard-drive box on steroids.
That is it has a computer program inside that munches metadata to
help the owner make program recording decisions. Whoopee. I wonder
how much value-add that really is. One thing it does have is two
receiving tuners, HD. Price: $700. WAY high. Here's the website:
http://www.tivo.com.au/
and another with FAQ type info:
http://barinya.com/australia/gadgets_and_electric/tivo-australia.htm
Reason for release now: The Olympics.

I bought a hard-drive STB with SD digital tuner a few years ago for
about $240 and like it fine. I use the yourtv website on Sunday and
set it up for the week along with my DVD recorder for times there are
two simultaneous programs I want to capture [ABC and commercial for
instance] or I'm going to be out for the evening. I can also playback
and feed the harddrive programs to the DVD if I want to save it forever.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Anonymous fame at last! - anon

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007