[LINK] Fwd: Facebook is Watching You

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Tue Jul 22 18:16:05 AEST 2008

At 02:02 19/07/2008, Linda Rouse wrote:
>Courtesy of the IAMEMS maillist... even more of a reason not to get into it!
>
>"Researchers at software vendor CA have discovered that social
>networking site Facebook is able to track the buying habits of its
>users on affiliated third-party sites even when they are logged out of
>their account or have opted out of its controversial "Beacon" tracking
>service."
>
><http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Logged-in-or-out-Facebook-is-watching-you/0,130061744,339284281,00.htm>ttp://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Logged-in-or-out-Facebook-is-watching-you/0,130061744,339284281,00.htm

Firefox and Adblock works a treat!  I added googleanalytics two
months ago (when I reininstalled, had it before too) and it's blocked
nearly 5000 requests.

The worst offender is
http://pagead2.$~other,~object-subrequest

It's had over 20,000 blocks in 2 months.  Eeeeeps!

ABP is interesting.  I haven't seen ads in years and was recently
trying to work out why I was missing out on some free promotions!

Yup, the ads were blocked!  How silly is that!

When I turned ABP off, I was HORRIFIED at the VOLUME  of data loading
into a page I was viewing which took nearly 4 mins to load - over the
30 seconds with ABP active.  Not only that, I struggled to find the
content on the page that was relevant!

Is that scary or what!