[LINK] Aunty puts five new channels online

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Jul 25 09:04:54 AEST 2008

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> Alas, the interface was designed with the usual considerations in mind.
> The thinking seems to go thusly:
>
> 1) GUI designers are (apparently) hard to find.
> 2) Therefore, don't offend the designer.
> 3) Therefore, don't send back the design just because it's rubbish.
>
>  From some parts of the UI, the back button doesn't work, but it works
> in other parts. Sometimes, the back button returns you not to the

Sorry to be picky, but your assessment of the shortcomings reflect poor
implementation/testing rather than design.

Though I lost a battle many years a go over storyboarding websites. The problem,
as I see it, is that many "designers" are
desktop publishers with limited understanding of how websites work - let alone
integration with back office and feedback loop from users.

Design, Accessibility, Usability are often only applied superficially (on the
surface) - size of font/colours etc - while these are important the one off
target-group user has to be able to use the site - that is good design.