[LINK] Aunty puts five new channels online

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Fri Jul 25 10:21:03 AEST 2008

On 25/7/08 5:08 PM, "Richard Chirgwin" <rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> 1) GUI designers are (apparently) hard to find.
> 2) Therefore, don't offend the designer.
> 3) Therefore, don't send back the design just because it's rubbish.
>
> From some parts of the UI, the back button doesn't work, but it works
> in other parts. Sometimes, the back button returns you not to the

In fairness, many times an actual "GUI designer" isn't involved. Instead,
requirements are set out by business stake holders and the project goes
straight to implementation by coders and graphic artists.

(I'm wading through a landslide of submissions for my conference, and
there's some excellent things in there - just got one about a UX company
that did extensive onsite research in order to eliminate delays in ordering
meals at a fast food outlet, they even reviewed hours and hours of security
video to get statistical measures of typical wait time. Contrast this
process with what typically happens elsewhere: "we need a menu board, these
are the items, get out your crayons". Outome: they changed the typical order
time from 1:10 down to 33 seconds.)

(Also spoke to another UI consultant last night, talked them into doing a
presentation on conducting contextual inquiries as a research method. Turns
out 30 minutes isn't going to be enough time to say what needs to be said,
will need at least 60 minutes to thoroughly scratch the surface. One hour
presentation detailing a method which can be summarised as "go to where they
work, look around, take notes". I'm looking forward to learning lots more
about a simple research method.)

e.