[LINK] [ACT] Govt considers 'digital health card'

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Mon Jul 28 22:20:54 AEST 2008

Govt considers 'digital health card'
ABC Canberra Web Site
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/28/2316429.htm

The ACT Government is considering issuing Canberrans with health cards
which will digitally track their medical history.

Health Minister Katy Gallagher says patient records are currently
dispersed across a range of paper-based data systems. "I think this is
one of the things that we need to move on pretty quickly," she said.
"All the evidence is that it will improve the safety of patients, it
will improve the experience of patients because it really puts all their
information in one place."

Ms Gallagher hopes the card will be introduced within four years.

"It really is just around your individual health record and putting it
in an electronic format and then patients in future will be able to
access their own records, usually online," she said. "I think many
health care consumers will think it is a way to empower them in their, I
guess, their dealings with health professionals as well."

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn