[LINK] VOIP and embedded messages

Steven Clark steven.clark at internode.on.net
Mon Jun 2 13:47:35 AEST 2008

Rick Welykochy wrote:
> Jan Whitaker wrote:
>
>> In New Scientist this month:
>>
>> Secret messages could be hidden in net phone calls
>>
> Seems like another technological area where the law has yet to catch up.
>
> Steganographic altering of a data stream is just one part of a larger
> problem. Intruders insert and alter data streams ("code injection" and
> "cross site scripting") to break into systems and user's data streams
> and private content.
>
> One can imagine an attack where a VoIP conversation is subtly interfered
> with so that a party receiving a voice message hears something different
> than what was sent. The consequence could be devastating if an important
> word like "not" was deleted from the stream.
>
> Like wiretapping, wire altering should be illegal. Is it?
>
> cheers
> rickw

It is illegal to interfere with telecommunications. Not sure about
anything specific about altering the content, but there are provisions
regarding tampering with equipment. There are of course laws regarding
accessing and interfering with computers.

My doctoral research is/will be focussing upon the interface between law
and technology with respect to the privacy and integrity of personal
data held by governments (especially in information management contexts)
- I haven't got to specific telecommunications issues just yet.

The real problem is being able to identify when a data stream has been
tampered with - until you have reason to investigate, no law will be of
much help.

--
Steven R Clark, BSc(Hons), LLB/LP(Hons), MACS, /Barrister and Solicitor/
PhD Candidate, CRMA, UniSA

This is not legal advice, it's an opinion, my opinion. Yours may differ.
That's great.
"No good deed goes unpunished and no sincere statement escapes
misinterpretation." Jennifer Nelson, 2008