[LINK] iTunes hits Australian higher learning

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Jun 5 10:39:46 AEST 2008

>Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>>  iTunes hits Australian higher learning
>>
>>http://www.itnews.com.au/News/77563,itunes-hits-australian-higher-learning.aspx

At 22:01 +1000 4/6/08, Brendan Scott wrote:
>And presumably ipods and iphones will become the only way to access
>these universities' lectures.

Stanford Uni's FAQ says:
http://itunes.stanford.edu/faq.html
"How do I access Stanford on iTunes U?
First, make sure you have the most current version of iTunes
installed on your Mac or PC computer. "

My understanding is that the iTunes Terms permit other copies of the
same material to be published through other channels, possibly *any*
other channels, I'm unsure.

*But* my understanding is that iTunes Terms *preclude* a
copyright-owner from making the same material available under an open
content licence such as Creative Commons.

[No, I haven't seen the Terms, and don't know whether they're
publicly accessible.]

I accordingly refused UniMelb the copyright licence permission they
requested in relation to the video of a Panel Session I participated
in last year.  (The copyright licence was almost indistinguishable
from a copyright assignment, so I might have declined to sign it
anyway;  but that's a separate issue).

I recommend that the word be spread far and wide that Apple are
seeking to apply and exploit the appallingly unbalanced
extended-copyright laws, and that contributors to academic events
should refuse permission to universities to place their material on
iTunes U (while encouraging dissemination through appropriate
channels, by means of appropriate licences).

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong