[LINK] iTunes hits Australian higher learning

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 5 17:24:42 AEST 2008

Eric Scheid wrote:
> On 5/6/08 3:05 PM, "Rick Welykochy" <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote:
>

>> So a more accurate announcement, not focussed on iTunes, would have been
>> that the lectures are being made available as podcasts.
>>
>> Any podcasting client can be used to access the online lectures.
>> (This seems exactly how ABC/RN listen on demand works.)
>>
>> But hey, why let simplicity get in the way of a good marketing angle?
>>

> have you considered that maybe the simpler, more accurate announcement was
> also made ... but failed to propagate due to poor marketing?

Heavens, no. A quick Google News search for iTunes U tells me there was
a co-ordinated global PR campaign, with stories in a bunch of countries
drawn from a localised boilerplate press release.

Well, okay, there's a news story there from the point of view of Apple
and the news outlets. But there was so much more to be had, as the Link
debate demonstrates: are the license terms acceptable? Is access open,
or is it (as the stories all seem to say, albeit perhaps incorrectly) an
iPod-only thing? Is it a real educational initiative or cargo-cult
marketing?

RC