[LINK] Beechwood homes and IP

Lea de Groot lealink at viking.org.au
Thu Jun 19 10:34:18 AEST 2008

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:53:05 +1000, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> And third, organisations are accustomed to exaggerating their claims ...
> I agree that the customers should have a license to use the plans; I
> hope people weren't fools enough to let the contracts assign rights to
> the plans to the builder.

The case in the paper was an interesting one - it seemed the pensioner
couple had an architect draw up plans then selected Beechwood to build
for them - and yet Beechwood owned the plans?!?
Something is very wrong there.
Did the contract specify that the builder gained the IP? Why? If not,
why does council think the builder's name on the council submission
gives the builder IP?
All very odd. I wonder what that architect thinks of all this?
If a standard component of project builder contracts is to demand the
IP of supplied house plans then I think someone needs to take a close
look at the industry

Lea
--
Lea de Groot