[LINK] Infoworld discovers HDMI downsides, only two years late

Saliya Wimalaratne saliya at hinet.net.au
Fri Jun 20 05:53:56 AEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 06:24:14PM +1000, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> There's nothing like "news to me" syndrome:
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2008/06/ahead_of_the_cu_7.html

No offence to Tom, but his assumption (and it can only be that) that
P2P traffic is somehow outweighed by "VOIP, streaming news, advertising
and entertainment, photo galleries, remote PC access, Usenet repositories,
denial of service attacks, and spam" is just plain wrong.

Providers take a special interest in P2P traffic simply because it changes
their business model due to the way it changes resource consumption. A
service provider can make an educated guess about P2P usage _without_
analysing traffic (i.e. just from byte counters over time).

Not because they're interested in DRM.

FWIW; if I bought a device (display, or STB) that was incompatible with
my existing hardware because of HDCP I'd be saying it wasn't fit-for-purpose
and demanding a refund.

Regards,

Saliya