[LINK] The farce that is Telstra

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Sat Jun 28 08:04:52 AEST 2008

I have just moved back to Canberra (again)

I am renting a five year old house in Bruce, about 15 Km north of
parliament house.

Yesterday I tried to get Telstra ADSL activated at the new address,
having previously checked that ADSL was available at the exchange and at
my number.

I was gob smacked when Telstra informed me that they had no spare ADSL
ports at my local exchange and that this is unlikely to change in the
next six month.

The only Telstra option I now have is dialup. They did offer me a
wireless modem connection but that is not compatible with my home LAN.

I am now looking at alternatives and as soon as I get it sorted out I
will be canceling my Telstra landline, mobile phone, Foxtel and Bigpond
accounts and selling my few Telstra shares.

If Australia thinks it has a first class telecommunications network when
its largest service provider cannot deliver at least ADSL in the middle
of its capital city, then I think it is fooling itself.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn