[LINK] Labor to deliver lightning internet speeds

Danny Yee danny at anatomy.usyd.edu.au
Mon Mar 3 13:20:42 AEDT 2008

Am I completely confused about the state of broadband in Australia,
or are the government and media completely confused?

My understanding is that with Telstra turning ADSL2 on in all its
exchanges, ADSL2 is now available to something like 90% or so of
Australians, so a good fraction of them already have Internet access
not far off the 12 to 25 Mbps the government is raving about.

The concerns with this are 1)
	* users at a distance from the exchange may get bandwidths
	  down to as little as 1 Mbps
	* Telstra is the only provider in many exchanges, largely due to
	  backhaul costs, so there's limited competition
	* there may be capacity constraints in some exchanges
and 2)
	* the "other" 10%, in urban black holes or rural areas

Danny.