[LINK] Faster Mediterranean Tsunami Warning System Needed

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Mar 18 11:55:01 AEDT 2008

At 10:34 AM 18/03/2008, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>>Recent research suggests the Mediterranean is overdue for a tsunami
>><http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/pdf/ngeo151.pdf>.
>
>I am curious why the Med. is "overdue" for a tsunami, so I tried
>the link. Registration required ...

Apologies. I should have used the quote and citation I put in my
notes <http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/webethics.shtml#tsunami>:

"... Historical accounts describe an earthquake and tsunami on 21
July AD 365 that destroyed cities and drowned thousands of people in
coastal regions from the Nile Delta to modern-day Dubrovnik. ... we
should expect an AD 365-type earthquake every 800 yr. That there has
been only one other such event (in 1303) in the past 1,650 yr should
focus our attention on the modern-day tsunami hazard in the Eastern
Mediterranean.  ..."

From: Eastern Mediterranean tectonics and tsunami hazard inferred
from the AD 365 earthquake, B. Shaw, N. N. Ambraseys, P. C. England,
M. A. Floyd, G. J. Gorman, T. F. G. Higham, J. A. Jackson, J.-M.
Nocquet, C. C. Pain & M. D. Piggott, Nature Geoscience, 9 March 2008,
doi:10.1038/ngeo151
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/ngeo151.html>

The paper has graphs and all the academic stuff, but there is a
readable news item summarizing the research at: "Tsunami that
devastated the ancient world could return", Mar 9, 2008, AFP