[LINK] RFC: Notebooks and IWBs

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Mar 21 01:54:21 AEDT 2008

> From:Chris Betcher <chris at betcher.org>
> To: Professional community for teachers
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:10:30 +1100
> Subject: Re: [Oz-teachers] Notebooks and Projectors

Hi Berkeley

Great question.  I don't agree that any modern laptop will do, in fact I
think most modern laptops are a pain in the neck if your primary use for
them is to drive an IWB... here's why...

Early PCs ran a screen resolution of 640x480 (VGA), and then we moved to
800x600 (SVGA), and then to 1024x768 (UVGA), then 1200x1024 (XGA), and so
on as the specs on computer rose...  Many modern, late model laptops run
much higher than that.  This is a problem, because many projectors will
not run much higher than UVGA, so the higher resolution laptops have to
downsample their output to run on the older (or cheaper) projectors.  You
can buy high res projectors but they are typically quite expensive.  What
you'll notice about all these screen resolutions though is that their size
is 4 units wide by 3 units high, often referred to as a 4:3 format.  This
works well because IWB screen are also 4:3 fomat.  So if you get a 4:3
format computer, and a 4:3 format board, and a projector that matches the
screen res of your computer's output, it all looks fantastic.

But here's the other big problem you'll face...  Most current laptops run
a widecreen WS-XGA screen...  meaning they are not only a very high
resolution, but they are also not a 4:3 format... they are a widescreen
format that does not match the 4:3 format of the IWB.  Problem here,
because either the projector will have to project a wide image (and many
won't) and you'll lose a strip at the top and bottom of the board, or your
screen will resize itself to a lower, more stretched mode and while the
IWB image will look great, the computer screen looks crappy.  If you are
like my school, where teachers are connected to the IWB all day, this
makes working on the computer (for checking mail, typing documents, etc) a
real pain.  The computer screen looks awful.

We just upgraded some laptops from ones that had a 1024x768, 4:3 ratio
screen, to new tablet PCs with a widescreen, high res display, and most
teachers will tell you that while it's nice to have a new computer, the
new machines are not as good for using the IWBs as the old ones.

Also, developing teaching resources using ActivStudio on the widescreen
models often means that it looks quite different when projected on the IWB.

Not sure what the answer is...  the newer computers are nice to work on
when not connected to an IWB, but are not as good when you do.

just something to think about.

Chris

> On 19/03/2008, Berkeley Fitzhardinge <edgecb at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to buy 6 notebooks for use with IWBs in a Kimberley
Aboriginal school.

I remember a few years ago hearing that a school was having trouble
getting a notebook to display via their Projector.  At that time I was
buying a couple of notebooks for use with IWBs.

At the time advice was I should purchase a notebook with say an Invidia or
AYI graphics adapter rather than say the Intel one.This meant purchasing a
more expensive notebook - but there were no problems.

The school's budget is around $1400 per notebook for the 6 new ones.  The
requested operating system is Windows XP.

What's your experience and advice?

Berkeley

--
http://www.westcourt.wa.edu.au/home/berkeley